CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Soup For A Friend

When my family comes to visit, there is always a request for this soup. It is a recipe from the festival our church in McAllen used to hold each spring. I believe the original recipe is called Spring Vegetable Soup and is published in the church's cookbook as such. I have messed with it a bit and this is our rendition. It is so simple and just delicious! I especially like to take it to people who have been sick or are recovering from surgery. And now that I'm putting it on my blog, maybe my mom won't have to call me for the recipe. :0) (Really, you can still call me for it mom....love you!)


Creamy Vegetable Soup

4 tbsp. butter (I use much less when making it at home, like 2 tbsp.)
1 bunch green onions, chopped
2-3 carrots, peeled and sliced thin
2-3 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
1/4 cup rice
5 cups water
5 tsp. chicken bouillon
2 cups non-dairy creamer (I make it with non-fat dry milk at home and it's great!)
16 oz. frozen chopped broccoli

In a large pot, melt butter. Add green onions and cook over medium heat until softened but not browned. Add carrots, potatoes and rice and stir for a few minutes to coat with butter. Add water, bouillon and creamer. Mix well and bring to a simmer. Cook 15 minutes. Add broccoli and cook 15 minutes longer. Serve hot. I like to serve it with sandwiches or a hearty bread to make a complete meal. Leftovers are great but it doesn't freeze well.

0 comments: