CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 10, 2008

Wings 'n' Taters

Mahogany Chicken Wings and Roasted Potatoes




Wow, it's been a long time since I last posted and honestly, it has been awhile since I really cooked anything exciting. I guess we've had tacos and spaghetti and other things off the "tried and true" list. We've especially had a lot from the freezer! This past weekend, I got a hankering for chicken wings but I didn't want regular buffalo wings. I had gotten a recipe called Mahogany Wings somewhere on line and just didn't note the original poster. It sounded like just the thing for my craving. Since I have issues with authority, I had to redo the recipe....you know I'm just rebellious that way! They were good! They are really good left over the next day, too! The potatoes were sublime. They would be an excellent side dish for ham, beef, chicken, salmon or most anything. I like that they were a one pot deal, too! Here's a link to the potato recipe. The Mahogany Wings recipe follows.
Mahogany Wings
24 whole chicken wings, split and tips discarded (I used a bag of Kroger brand chicken wings)
1 cup soy sauce (I don't use soy sauce, I use Bragg's Liquid Aminos instead)
1 cup honey
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1 tsp. sesame oil
2 tsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. chili-garlic paste (or sub 2 cloves crushed garlic and 2 tsp. Tabasco for this)
Place chicken in ziptop freezer bag. Mix liquid ingredients. Reserve 1/2 cup of marinade to brush chicken while baking. Pour the rest over the chicken. Marinate in the refrigerator, turning often, for 1-2 hours.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet (I used a jellyroll pan) with foil. Place a rack (like a cookie cooling rack) on the pan. Spray rack with non-stick cooking spray. Arrange marinated wings on the rack. Bake 60-75 minutes, turning once and brushing with reserved soy mixture often. These should be a lovely deep brown with crispy edges.
**If you really want wings but don't want the fat, you could remove the chicken skin.
**We really liked this flavor and I'm going to try the same marinade on boneless, skinless chicken breasts but I'll grill them and cook them only a few minutes. I'll post if that works!


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love Mr. Pepin and his taters too!