CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, April 5, 2008

Caramel Chocolate Pecan Bars

Happiness
I try to bake something sweet now and then. It keeps the natives from getting restless. I haven't baked much lately though because there was plenty of Easter candy around. This past week, though, we needed something sweet and I was looking over an old notebook of recipes. I used to cater and this particular notebook was my Bible for the catering biz. Now that I'm just a mommy-cook, I don't tend to use these recipes as much. I'm glad I ran back across this one. It is so good. Don't let the cooking of the caramel scare you off! It is just a couple of minutes on the stove and the results had us all clamoring for seconds...and then for the crumbs!
Caramel Chocolate Pecan Bars
3 dozen bars
Crust:
2 cups flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup pecan pieces, toasted
Filling:
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup butter
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup butterscotch chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 baking dish (or line it with foil and grease that). In a small bowl, combine the crust ingredients, except the pecans. Using a fork, cut the butter and sugar into the flour. Press into bottom of baking dish. Sprinkle pecan pieces over the top. In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar and butter for the filling. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a full boil. Boil constantly until a candy thermometer reaches 242 degrees or a small amount of mixture dropped into ice water forms a firm ball. Seriously, it is like 1 minute! Pour over pecans in crust. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until entire caramel layer is bubbly. Immediately sprinkle with chocolate and butterscotch chips. Use a knife or spatula to gently swirl the chips on the top. LET COOL~ Take my advice and don't try to eat this while it is still hot and will literally obliterate the roof of your mouth. Just trust me, don't ask.
On another note, you should see a general change in the recipes on this blog over the next oh, forever! Really, I'm going back to Weight Watchers, but I do Core, so there will be plenty to cook, just different, but still family friendly and delicous...just lighter and back to basics. If you don't see the change, feel free to email me and harass me about being off my diet!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Amanda the bars look delish! I am due to do some baking...and some cleaning..and some laundry! lol I am looking forward to you cooking lite! Beth

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Flores Online, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://flores-on-line.blogspot.com. A hug.

nipsum said...

How do you do.
I hope to see blog.
Please link to this site.