CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Hurry Curry


A Photo Sort of Similar to My Curry

Okay, just for the record, the above photo is a lovely googled image of Thai Red Curry with Shrimp. I simply forgot to take a photo of the curry I created on Saturday night. I have numerous excuses, but I'll save those for another time. Suffice it to say, our curry was delicious and photo-worthy, but also eaten, gone, snarfed, nom nom nom.
It all started with a local grocery store having Buy-One-Get-One-Free deals on Wild Caught Argentine Sea Scallops. I'm a sucker for wild-caught seafood. I'm such a snob, I know, but I hate farm-raised seafood....blergh, just the thought of it all swimming around in it's own...well, anyway. I do buy wild-caught shrimp, salmon and most other fish. This seemed like a saawweeet deal. It was. I got 2 1-lb bags for $7.00. I've been following Weight Watchers again since the first of the year. I wanted a delicious and tasty use for the scallops that didn't involve lots of butter and garlic (oh but that would have been nice, too). Since we love Thai food, I jumped at the chance to give it a try. It was a little more pointy than my normal meals, but as a treat and certainly as a restuarant-quality meal, it was great! Remember that I'm trying to add lots of vegetables in our diets, so use your own preferences and discrection on that part. Enough gabbing...here's how I made it!

Thai Red Curry with Scallops

1 can lite coconut milk
1- 1 1/2 tbsp. Thai red curry paste (my brand was Thai Kitchen)
1 tbsp. brown sugar
2-4 cups chopped fresh vegetables, I used fresh asparagus, cut in half, fresh green beans, a red pepper, sliced, a zucchini, sliced, a yellow squash, sliced, a lot of fresh mushrooms, sliced, and green onions cut on the bias
2 tbsp. Thai fish sauce
1 lb. frozen scallops or peeled shrimp
6-8 fresh basil leaves, torn in large pieces
Sirarcha to taste
Hot Cooked Jasmine Rice

In a very large skillet, heat the coconut milk and red curry paste to a high simmer. Let simmer 5 minutes or until the coconut milk has reduced a bit and thickened. Add brown sugar and simmer another minute. Add vegetables and cook until crisp tender. Stir in fish sauce, seafood and basil. Stir and cook just until seafood is done, about 4 minutes. Serve with additional fish sauce and Sirarcha sauce for more heat. Serve on rice to soak up the delicious sauce. Yum!


3 comments:

Mack said...

thanks for coming back Amanda!! The recipe for the curry sounds great and quite simple. I love scallops. I need to find a good deal like yours.

Unknown said...

Yummo! You know you made my mouth water my fellow Thai addict friend! Oh, I miss the days of Jasmine and Sweet Basil......

Jessica@Foodmayhem said...

Yum! I wish I could get those prices here, but that would be a miracle.